Ann ArborModern Quilt Guild
August 28, 2019
- Upcoming classes for 2019
- Erin Harris - Build your own medallion class, Sept 14th - 6 hour class - cost member $75, non-members $85. Sign ups are open and we have 11 people signed up so far.
- Enrollment now open to non-members as well
- If you planned to pay by check Cheryl will stick around after to collect those
- Erin will be bringing books for anyone who needs one.
- ***please bring 12-½ inch center medallion complete to class (ideas can be found in Erin’s book as well as online or other books)
- Supply list will be sent to those registered soon.
- April 2020 - Rossie Hutchinson - improv
- 04 October 2020 - Latifah Saafir.. She has a lot of great class offerings.
- DAMqg will partner with us for the weekend event
Will be sending survey for instructor interests; 1 vs. 2 workshops/year (to make certain we fill enrollment)
- Winter 2020 retreat - January 24-26 at Creative Passions in Chesaning
- Sign up will begin August/September as deposit is due in October - cost ~$140
- Tara is once again organizing a show for us at the Ford Presidential Library in Ann Arbor.
- We have 12 quilts for the show. One more would be a good addition as a backup.
- Tara needs to receive your quilt by the first week of November - you can give the quilts to Sherri at the October meeting or make arrangements with Tara.
- The show will be open mid-November through December. (will be back to you sometime in January - hopefully no surprises!)
- Dearborn Festival of Quilts Oct 11-12, $5 admission. The deadline to submit a quit is Oct 2 to submit quilt information to go into the book and then Quilt Delivery Oct 7.
- May be an option for a group display in future
- AQS in Grand Rapids - several members attending the August event with positive feedback, including Maria Shell’s class on curves and circles
- AUG - Sunday, Aug 18 - Charity sew-in. a great turnout. Members expressed interest in having more of these sew-ins.
- 6 people attended this month
- 2 quilts tops were completed; Kathy Koch cut out flying geese, quilt kits were put together, quilts organized ready for quilting.
- SEP - Saturday, Sep 14 - Erin Harris class
- OCT - Sunday, Oct 13 - SEW TOGETHER
- Might want to get the pattern and start thinking about supplies soon for the October Sew Together bag class.
- NOV - Saturday, Nov 9
- DEC - Sunday, Dec 8
**Sew-in room access is typically 9-6. Please remember to bring extension cords as outlets are limited in the rooms.
- Jackie Mills has taken over as Charity Chair
- Flying geese materials given out to members for completion. Due back to guild at September 25 meeting
- MQG Quilt Con charity - at the last meeting it was decided not to make a quilt for Quilt Con since we didn’t have a design at the meeting. Rossie volunteered to design a quilt and lead the group to insure we continue to participate in the annual event. Rossie will send an update to members.
- We also discussed making a smaller quilt and basket for Grillin’, perhaps a picnic size or baby quilt. Some people wondered how to include as many members in the construction if a smaller piece. Further discussion will take place next month. The quilt basket will be completed to donate in late April/early May. Members are invited to submit a design for the guild to vote on.
- September charity block will be precut geese to take and make
- Thanks to all who donated quilts this month!
- Jackie has the quilt labels. She has them with her if you need any.
- The annual meeting to review bylaws and vote for new board members will now take place in October, allowing for a transition period between out-going/in-coming board. A voice vote was unanimous.
- Sherri Potas-Garrett volunteered to run for the Membership Chair, replacing outgoing Jackie Mills.
- We are putting together a survey that we will distribute to all members in the coming months to get a sense of what things you are most interested in to help us with planning the next couple of years.
- Quiltcon registration is open! Even if you don’t plan to go, Maggie recommends getting the free floor pass. If you decide later, you will be glad you did it.
- Austin Feb 20-23, featuring Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- New Modern Monthly is out! You can access all of the resources under resources on the member dashboard as well.
- Webinar: A Graphic Designer’s Guide to Quilt Design and Layout: How to apply design elements and principles to your quilting repertoire AUGUST 29, 2019 8PM EDT, 4PM PDT
- Webinar: Improv Hand Quilting with Heidi Parkes - already aired, can find the video on MQG site
Game/Activity/Discussion - Guess Who
Library Spotlight - The library list is available on the blog. Send note to Kim or via FB page with requested books and Kim will bring to meeting.
Skill share - Tara animal portrait raw edge applique
Round Robin/Swapenge - Heather Lentz has taken over as the chair.
Round robin additions were shared and pieces were exchanged for next month.
August - 2-color challenge - 4 members participated (Pam, Rossie, Mary Jo and Jackie). Pam won the raffle.
September - Pin cushion swap. Ann will leave walnut shells at Pink Castle for anyone who needs some to fill their cushion.
October - Secret Stalker swap. Names were drawn with likes and fabric swatches as start
Show and Share
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.