The Board has decided to support the Orlando Quilts for Pulse project.
Regardless of your political or personal views, we hope that everyone will join in and make at least one block (but hopefully more!) to support this effort to send a quilt to each victim or their family.
The Guild has been signed up to make at least one quilt, but we are hoping that the outpouring is so great we will be able to send even more. If you are not able to make a block, hopefully you will be willing to piece blocks together, do the quilting or the binding.
Basically it can be any block but the simple one the MQG shared goes together very quickly. Looking for 10-1/2" blocks in rainbow colors with low volume background. Size of finished quilt in case you are very ambitious would be around 5x6 blocks to make a 50"x60" quilt.
Please bring at least one block to the June 29th meeting where we will coordinate the piecing effort.
The quilt(s) are due to Orlando September 15th so we have a bit of time but the sooner we get these completed, the better.
For more information, see the info from the Mother Ship https://themodernquiltguild.wordpress.com/2016/06/14/quiltsforpulse-charity-drive-with-the-orlando-mqg/ or read the Orlando Guilds post at http://theorlandomodernquiltguild.blogspot.com/
Thursday, June 16, 2016
Thursday, June 2, 2016
May 25, 2016 Meeting Minutes
- We did a check-in to see if anything was needed for the Penny Layman class on the 1st
- Giedra is still looking for a good meeting space for us
- Snack sign-ups good for most of the year (thanks!)
- Charity Quilts: next month bring red-white-blue blocks (any combination). Should be 12-1/2" blocks (to finish at 12" to make 3x4 block quilts for Veterans). Still looking for donations of modern fabrics - we now have a fabric bin. Also are looking for volunteers to do shared quilts (someone does cutting, another piecing, another the quilting).
- Foodie Challenge: we showed off our finished mini-quilts. Show at Zingerman's has been extended by one day to give the Glamp attendees a chance to see them. June 2-5. Winner will be by popular vote (vote at Zingerman's). Prize sponsored by the Deli and Pink Castle Fabrics.
- SUMMER: Amanda reported that there are 4 options for a summer retreat (3 Howell dates (Jul 15-17, July 22, Aug 28) and one opening at Creative Passions also on Jul 15-18). A show-of-hands vote indicated a preference to try Creative Passions so Amanda will book that. July 15-17, $140 with continental breakfast and optional Thursday arrival (add'l fee). There is a 24 maximum attendance. She notes that we do not need to bring our own linens for this venue and supposedly has good chairs and restaurants near-by. www.creativepassionsllc.com/ 203 Pearl St, Chesaning, MI 48616. Amanda will send an email with details to the group - plan on paying at next meeting.
- WINTER: We will go to Hankerd Inn, planning on Jan. 27-29 weekend.
- Library Spotlight (new books - See Kim for details!)
- Member Spotlight: Postponing for awhile. Giedra will announce something different at next meeting.
- No Skill School this month
- Round Robin
- Show and Share
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)