A2MQG Meeting Minutes, April 2021
The Guild is now meeting via Zoom. If you are not receiving Zoom meeting invites as a member, or if you would like to become a member, please contact the Board. Note that guests may attend one free meeting, plus additional meetings for a fee. Contact us for more information.
Achenhoug's class https://warmfolk.com - "Basic
Curves: Traditional and Curvy", was held April 17. The basic premise of the class was to take a traditional block made with HSTs and change that to be a quarter circle (similar to drunkard's path block). Shown below are some of the blocks made by attendees:
- Retreats and Sew-Ins:
- Next retreat will be at Creative Passions, Chesaning, January 28-30, 2022. Sign-ups will start around the August/September timeframe.
- Sew-ins are taking place every Tuesday evening via
zoom. Anyone is welcome, bring a project or just come chat for awhile.
Typically starts between 7-7:30 and continues until around 9:00. The link has been sent via email and remains the same for each week.
- Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI) Statement: Still in progress. The Board will be meeting next week and will discuss next steps.
- Charity Quilts:
- Jackie shared photos of many of the charity quilts completed/donated by guild members. They are all wonderful and the talent and generosity of our group really shows. The quilts will be going to either Ozone House, Mott Children's Center, or the Veteran's Association.
- It was noted that the guild received a $200 monetary donation from a friend of a member which will be used to finish longarmming some of the charity quilts. A thank you letter has been sent to the donor.
- Reminder that this quarter's charity block is the Wonky Star block (tutorial by berrybarndesigns). While you can do the block at 12.5", any
size blocks are fine. Please make a many blocks as you like. You can mail them to Jackie or drop off at Jackie or Brenda's. Deb's blocks below for inspiration!
- Swaps and Challenges:
- The current ongoing SWAP is a pincushion swap. Swap partners have been assigned with about 11-12 participants. Pincushions are to be mailed to your partner
no later than May 10 so that swapees can share at the May meeting. If you need nutshells for filling let Brenda know since she has some to give away.
- Group Discussion: "How may quilts do you have in your home that you made?" (Average answer was 8-12)
- Show and Share : As always, one of the best parts of the meeting is seeing what fun projects are completed or in process by members - everything from baby quilts to wedding quilts to pants to an art exhibit in New York.
- Annie Brady fox (and owl and raccoon) patterns : https://bound.shop/
- Sauder Quilt Show, May 6-8, 2021 : not sure how this will work but supposedly they are putting it on with limited people in the show at a time, social distancing, etc. : https://saudervillage.org/classes-events/special-events/quilt-show