Neither sleet nor snow.... well obviously we didn't have that issue, but weather definitely attempted to derail our July meeting. Originally planned for outdoors at a local park, threatening thunderstorms swayed us to move it to an indoor location. Unfortunately the storms turned severe causing power outages, downed trees and torrential downpours in the area. The place we were to meet was one of those who lost power so we shifted to all Zoom (yay Zoom!). Since many of our members were also without power, this meant a much lower turnout than usual and a much shorter meeting but the eight of us who met had a grand time.
Thanks go to Sheryl who did a couple of impromptu skill shares, first showing us her planning process on a recent quilt and then some video highlights to answer questions on what a Flynn Frame is.
Speaking of skill shares, this is exactly the type of thing we are looking for. We typically want just a 10-15 minute sharing of a technique or tool or just something you've learned that others in the group might be interested in. Some examples of past shares include how to choose batting, board basting, english and foundation paper piecing. We also are interested if you know of very short videos that show a skill you think is well presented (because we know not all YouTubes are created equal). So if you have learned something from a short (again less than 15 minutes) YouTube, please send the link to the board and we will see if we think it will work at a future meeting.
Swaps and Challenges:
- The Smalls Swap has been moved to the August meeting. Please bring your "small" item such as a pin cushion, zipper pouch, coin purse, small stuffie, mug rug, mini wallhanging, etc. to the next meeting and we will Yankee swap.
- MQG Community Outreach Quilt - Maya and Rossie have been working on creating plans for the MQG quilt. The pattern is being finalized and they have chosen fabric. We hope to have a group effort to cut and divvy up fabric on Saturday, September 30th. A form will be going out for sign-ups shortly.
- We are planning on having a STASH SALE at a future meeting to cover the costs of this quilt. Please help out by donating fabric (quilt shop quality/modern or at least with a modern bent) at the next meeting. We will then re-sell it to members to raise the needed funds.
- Please join us for the first annual A2MQG/DAMQG meet up in Plymouth. This gathering will be Sunday, August 27th from 2-4pm at Kellogg Park in downtown Plymouth. Please bring a small swap item to yankee swap. Information has gone out via email and on FB for specifics.
- Note that this is a tad different from what was mentioned at the meeting, but we are moving our meetings entirely to Maker Works in Ann Arbor starting with the August meeting.
- Maker Works has always been very accommodating for our group and this is no exception as they will allow us to set up regular meetings at their facility. For those of you who've been around awhile, this is going back to our roots as early guild meetings were held there until we moved to Brenda's digs at Pink Castle.
- Maker Works is in the Airport Plaza Industrial Park over by Costco in the second row of buildings with a colorful dust collector outside and the numbers are very large at the top of the buildings. There is plenty of parking once you get to the right section and their front door is on the end of the building. Please visit their website for a detailed map.