The meeting started with a tour of Maker Works in Ann Arbor. We saw demos of the laser cutting machine, the embroidery machine, jewelry making, wood working, etc. Maker Works is a membership facility. Lana is a member and helped coordinate the event. She is also working on creating rulers for attendees with the guild logo.
- Anabelle Wrigley Doodle class was a lot of fun. A few members showed off their creations.
- Guicy class still on schedule for April. Sign-ups will start in December. It was suggested that we ask him to talk about color theory and maybe his new fabric line when he does his trunk show.
- It looks like we will attempt to book Erin Harris as our 2nd national teacher for next year. More to follow.
- Kathy will be teaching paper piecing at the February sew-in (Feb. 10). Cost is $10 payable to Kathy the day of the event. Sign-ups will be required.
- Attendees had a blast at the fall retreat in Chesaning this month.
- 2019 Spring Retreat - Artistry on Evans, Tecumseh. May 3-5. Sign-ups have started and we are already at capacity. It was noted however to go ahead and sign up to get your name on the waitlist as we often have members needing to give up their spaces.
- 2020 Winter Retreat - will be in Chesaning in January.
- We are looking for a volunteer for Retreat Coordinator for next year.
- Next dates are Sat. Oct 27; Sat. Nov 10 (will be used for quiltcon sewing); Sun. Dec 9
- Be sure you sign up for sew-ins. Starting in January if we don't have at least 3 members signing up by the meeting prior to the sew-in, we will release the reservation back to the building in order to free it up for others to use.
- 2019 sew-in dates are currently the following (but may be usurped for other guild events if needed):
- Sat Jan 12
- Sun Feb 10 (Kathy Paper Piecing class)
- Sat Mar 9
- Sat Apr 13 (no sew-in, Guicy Guice class)
- Sun May 19
- Sat Jun 8
- Sun Jul 14
- Sun Aug 18
- Sat Sep 14
- Sun Oct 13
- Sat Nov 9
- Sun Dec 8
- Rossie has picked up donations for the QuiltCon charity quilt. We will be using the November sew-in to put the quilt together.
- We had one 'vector' block turned in. It was decided that this block probably isn't gathering enough interest, so it was suggested that for next month, just do any 12-1/2" (12" finished) block(s) in gray with red, navy, or white. Thoughts are that the end result will be a masculine quilt for the Veterans.
- Jackie McG has tops/backs to be quilts as well as kits to be checked out and worked on. She also has batting and labels.
- We had several tops donated this month.
- Kim Nace has volunteered to be our Charity Chair next year. Thanks Kim!
- Due now. $42 by PayPal, discount $40 by check due tonight.
- We have added a PayPal button to the website.
- New members also have to fill out a membership form. Kathy will be creating an online fillable google form, so we may be having everyone fill out the form in order to get all the information in a single spreadsheet for the Membership VP.
- Accepting nominations. So far we have willing members for all positions, but anyone is able to be nominated for any position. See the By-Laws for details.
- We discussed block studies, but it was noted that members are still finding it near impossible to navigate the MQG website (requiring double logins to download materials).
- We brainstormed possible ideas for Brenda for next year's swaps:
- I Spy or just charm square or fabric swap
- Secret Stalker (but have it separated more from other time-intensive projects)
- Pincushion, sewing organizer, thread catcher, etc. type swap
- Pouch swap
- Pot holder, mug rug, coaster, placement swap
- Ornament or other holiday (e.g., halloween) swap
- Circle or arc challenge
- Color challenge
- Pillow cover swap (could also be secret stalker or holiday themed). Sheryl noted that IKEA has $6 pillow forms and Henya mentioned that we could also do a group order with Foam Factory.
- Next month is a challenge - Improv (finish something of an improv nature, any size, prize will be a FQ pack of Me & You solids).
- Library - Kim U highlighted "Modern Designs for Classic Quilts"
- Member Spotlight - Sherri
- Round Robin
- Show & Share
(HINT: Did you know that you can receive this blog post in your email each month? If you haven't already done so, scroll down the webpage and find the Follow By Email block. Enter your email address and new posts will appear in your inbox, usually the next day.)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.