- Kathy will be teaching a paper-piecing class at our February 10 sew-in. Cost is $10 plus purchase of an add-a-ruler if you don't already own one (required!). Sign up sheet will be posted soon.
- Guicy Guice: Still on for April, we will be working on getting the sign-up form available by the end of December.
- Erin Harris: plans are in the works to bring Erin in for a one-day medallion class for September 2019.
- We brainstormed other teacher ideas for 2020 (Sherri Lynn Wood, Anna Maria Chaney, Jacqueline DeJonge were suggested). Brenda RG will investigate.
- Reminder to continue to fill in the online form if you are attending sew-ins. The board has adopted a new policy starting in January where we will cancel the sew-in if less than 3 people are signed up by the meeting prior.
- We recently held a charity-focused sew-in to work on the QuiltCon quilt. Concensus was that it was fun, well attended, and attendees got a lot accomplished.
- Next sew-in is Sunday, December 9
- 2019 next two are January 12 and February 10
Retreat: Spring 2019 is full, but if you are interested put your name on the waitlist, there often are cancellations.
- Keep doing red, gray, navy blocks (12.5", any pattern)
- Rossie notified the group that she might be getting some donated fabric for charity quilts.
- The membership would like to have more charity-focused sew-ins
- Jackie McG notified the group that this year to date we donated the following number of quilts. Yay group!
- Ozone House - 9
- Veterans - 5
- Motts - 17
MQG: members have been having better luck navigating the MQG site; QuiltCon is in Nashville; members have until Nov. 30 to get a free show pass; Debbie G is looking for a roommate.
Quilt Show: members quilts are now being displayed at the Gerald Ford Presidential Library in Ann Arbor. They will be there through mid-January. The Library is open M-F 8:45-4:45. Thanks to the show coordinators (Tara, Sherri, Giedra) and to the 12 quilters who offered quilts for show with very little turnaround.
Sewing Expo: several members attended the Sewing Expo in Novi. While dollars were spent and it was cool to see the associated quilt show (which included a modern quilt display), most were disappointed at how small the expo has become.
Spotlight Discussion: the group shared ideas about christmas makes.
- Sheryl R shared how she makes a Hot Cold Blanket (one side fleece, one side standard quilting cotton): takes 1.5 hrs to make, use 1.5 yards quilting fabric and 1.5 yards fleece (do not use no-pill); wash/dry the fabric first to avoid odd shrinkage.
- Maggie reminded members to sign up to host a skill share (she has a spreadsheet accessible through FB)
Member Spotlight: Tara; next up will be Katie B
Library: Kim U shared some books with gift ideas plus Patty donated some books as freebies to the members
Challenge and Swaps:
- A huge response was had to our Improv challenge. Kim U won the fabric bundle donated by Pink Castle Fabrics
- Next month: Notions Yankee swap - bring a wrapped notion valued at approximately $20
Features: Round Robin, Member Show and Share
Next meeting: Wednesday, December 19 at NEW