We had another successful Munch and Mingle before the meeting. I still need a few people to sign up for summer snack/drink duties. If you're interested, email Hayley (hayleysews at gmail dot com).
- Lots of people brought their new nametags to the meeting! If you haven't made one, try to do so by the next meeting.
- Our summer retreat is July 30-August 2 at Hankerd Inn. Check your email for more information on pricing and how to sign up.
- We are in need of a retreat coordinator! If you are interested, let us know. Ginia is currently taking over as a temporary coordinator.
- Charity auctions for the quiltcon quilts will start soon. You will receive an email with more information when that occurs. I just need to take pictures and upload them to eBay. We are donating the proceeds of one quilt to Ozone House and the other quilt's proceeds will go to Food Gatherers.
- We are still looking for sew-in locations.
- The class catalog for QuiltCon 2016 in Pasadena was emailed to all MQG members! If you are not receiving MQG emails, contact Jackie Mills.
- The 2016 QuiltCon charity challenge sign ups close July 30, so we will discuss this more and sign up at the June meeting. We will probably make two different quilts again this year if the participation is the same.
- This month, we got to see quilts made by Ann Dilcher.
- She had some really lovely looking quilts! Next month, we will spotlight Pam Lincoln.
- Ginia Forrester showed us how to make four flying geese with five pieces of fabric and three seams! In case you weren't able to make it, Ginia summarized the process for me in an email:
- I saw this method on "Fons and Porter, Love of Quilting" a TV show on PBS. As far as I can tell, it is not available on-line and they do not offer on-line streaming. I'll try to put together a post on my blog this weekend and let you know.The formula that I worked out is as follows using the desired FINISHED block size.Large square = finished length + 1.25 inchesSmall square = (finished length / 2) + 1 inchThe size I demonstrated was for a 4" x 2'' block.I started with one 5.25" block and four 3" blocks.If you wanted to make a 6" x 3" block, start with a large square of 7.25" and four squares of 4".For a 12" x 6" block, start with a large square of 13.25" and four 7" squares.
We had a neat fabric yardage trade this month! Next month, we are having a Tiny Swap. From the Swaps page on the blog:
- Tiny Swap. Make something tiny, or something that features tiny patchwork. A pouch, a quilt, a pincushion, a softie… something adorbs. It must have patchwork involved in some way. Bring it in wrapped to Yankee swap. This idea comes right from a swap the Vancouver MQG had with Australia. Check out their post for some inspiration: http://vancouvermodernquiltguild.ca/blog/2014/08/teeny-weeny-swap-with-australia/
We also got to see the progress on lots of Round Robin quilts.
Show and Share
Dorie brought a fun quilt that she just made from scraps:
Rossie brought a game inspired by board games that her husband helped design:
And that's when my phone died!
Hope to see you all at June's meeting!!