- Giedra has not heard back from Christopher Thompson (The Tattooed Quilter) on our proposed class for September 16/17. Following discussion on how to proceed, the Guild suggested that we not try to push for this date as it would only give us one meeting to get attendees. Giedra will continue to try to connect with him and possibly set up a different date, but she will also try to connect with other teachers. One suggested teacher would be Kristi Schroeder, Initial K Studio. She also is suggesting we have a get together on that weekend instead.
- Creative Passions Retreat - a positive report was given regarding the retreat this month (clean, comfy, good lighting/seating, also lots of room in the building we were at (CP2)). Main negative was that we did not have the attendance so the guild was on the hook for more money than was covered by attendees. Fortunately, the owner of Creative Passions agreed to allow us to take the extra amount and use it as credit for a future retreat instead of just losing that money.
- Bring a Friend to Quilting - Amy D is planning this event for the October meeting. We would have demos on methods/techniques, modern quilting vs traditional, tools, tips, etc. She will be asking for volunteers, so anyone who would like to participate are encouraged to contact her. We discussed that this is the meeting we will be doing our Secret Stalker Swap so we would curtail most of our regular meeting items to allow time for all.
- Charity quilts - we showed off the quilts in progress (some completed) for Quilts for Pulse project for Orlando. All quilts to be done by August meeting and we will ship them as one package. There were also a couple finished for the Veterans (Red White Blue). Yay Guild!
- Next month's challenge is our UFO challenge - pick something that has been languishing, finish it and bring it to show off.
- Also next month we will be choosing our Secret Stalker partners. This time we will be including scraps from your own collection that your stalker can include in the mini. Project will be to create a mini that fits the person you are stalking, incorporating at least some of the scraps your partner has provided. You do not need to use all the scraps or feel you need to make the entire mini out of them.
- Bring to the next meeting (or drop off to Round Robin bin at Pink Castle):
- Small amount of scraps that can be incorporated into a mini
- A piece of paper with your name and all the social media personal tags (@) you use (e.g., Facebook (if public), Instagram, Flikr, Pinterest, Ello, BLOG, website
- Tonight's swap was Pouches! Yankee swap ensued. Fun was had.
- Greater Ann Arbor Guild Quilt Show - please support our 'other' A2 guild next weekend at their bi-annual quilt show. It will be at Washtenaw Community College. Sat 9-5 and Sun 11-5. There will be vendors and over 300 quilts including many from our own guild. Cost is $6 and entry can be used both days.
- APQS (longarm vendor) will be in Canton at the Hampton Inn on August 2nd if anyone is looking to test drive a longarm.
- We discussed options for fund raising for the guild. It appears to be the consensus the members would prefer a raise in dues to pad the coffers instead of dealing with fund raising. The Board will take this up at a later date.
- If anyone is looking for a Featherweight, Amy S has a friend who is selling one for $300. Contact Amy for more information.
- Jude suggested we consider for our charity quilts the Child Gynological Cancer organization which helps children age 5-18 going through this. They collect lap quilts and give them to the children when they start chemo and are looking for about 10 per year. This will be passed to the Board and Charity Chair for consideration.
- Jude also noted that she needs a place to stay (lodging) at QuiltCon in Savannah so if anyone can assist her, please let her know.
- Library list has been updated - pdf on blog (Kathy will be uploading it in a few days). Kim will not be lugging as many books to meetings, so if you have ones you want her to bring, let her know prior to each meeting.
- What Inspires You? (4 members shared what inspires them to quilt and keep quilting!)
- Skill School - Debbie Grifka shared how she creates a "Skinny Binding"
- She cuts 1-1/4" wide strips. These are not double folded.
- She presses under 1/4" along one edge to make it easier to stitch down
- Rest of the process is like regular binding, sew to front, hand stitch to back, miter corners
- Round Robin
- Show and Share
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.