- Amanda Jean class - everyone had a great time and learned a lot
- Mark your calendars:
- Made by Rae class - January 13, 2018. Cost: $65 for members. There is one spot available!
- Joe Cunningham class - April 14, 2018
- Annabelle Wrigley (http://www.littlepincushionstudio.com/) - will be a class in concert with DAM, September 30, 2018
- By Annie - planning in progress, will probably also be with DAM sometime in the fall
- Website changes - www.a2mqg.org - now has photos from Instagram postings (updates once a day)
- Winter Retreat - March 2-4, Howell Nature Center, bunk beds, catered meals, cost TBD, sign-ups will be soon
- Dues are due (see Jackie Mills)
- GLAMP - several members attended and had a great time (Giucy Giuce seems to have made the biggest impact with teeny tiny paper piecing). Next year's GLAMP http://info.pinkcastlefabrics.com/glamp-stitchalot-2018 will be November 2018. Three of the four teachers are 1) Kerry Goulder (@KidGiddy - 'ugly christmas sweater' block fame, she will also creates dies for Sizzix and will be offering a backpack pattern for dolls); 2) Felice Regina (@IamLunaSol - mini quilts and applique e.g., Drama Llama); 3) Jeni Baker (@JeniB320 - color theory showing how one pattern can look so different depending on color choices)
- Charity quilts - Brenda brought in leftover samples from GLAMP sponsor Maywood Studios. The "Pods" are pre-cuts in kits with a pattern and several pods can be used to make quilts the sizes we need for our charities. Reminder that we have batt and backings to use as well.
- Next meeting is our Holiday Party, December 27. Please bring a sweet or savory to share. We will have a yankee swap gift exchange (sewing notions!)
- QuiltCon show entries due November 30th. Good luck to everyone entering! Our Charity quilt is done except for a hanging sleeve. After the show we will be donating it to Food Gatherers for them to auction off.
- MQG Book - the latest MQG book has quilts from three of our members (Dorie, Rossie, Jenna)! We can't wait to see it and think we need a trunk show.
- MQG's quilt of the month is "Defrag" - let us know if you didn't get the email with the pattern link - you will need to log in to download.
- Elections 2018 - current slate is as follows (but we are still accepting nominations):
- President - Maggie Wilkin
- VP Programs - Brenda Rowley-Gray
- VP Membership - Jackie Mills
- Sectretary/Webmaster - Kathy Koch
- Treasurer - Amy Stevenson
- We also have committees for Library, Round Robin & Swaps, Programs
- There are a couple MQG webinars coming up:
- December 5 - Easy Fabric Dyeing with Sue Bleiweiss
- December 15 - Effortless Applique with Shelagh Jessop
- Library (Kim won't be here next month so you get an extra time period for loans)
- Skill Share - Heather Lentz showed everyone how to make Folded Fabric Stars (or Swedish Stars). Heather is a great teacher! Here are some of the basics, she recommends the tutorial by Betz White for more details (https://betzwhite.com/2011/12/fabric-star-ornament-tutorial.html)
- 4 bias strips @ 3" x 14"
- Fold lengthwise just like you are making binding. Heather sews the open edge closed
- She recommends the use of Wonder Clips and tweezers!
- Inspiration / Spotlight - discussion ensued around "Facing Your Fears" (what are you afraid to attempt or that you struggle with?). Some ideas for future classes or skill schools were: how to on final quilting (Kathy noted that she has an hour powerpoint lecture class on this), but members were also interested in a hands on class; how to sew circles (Giedra offered to show her piecelique circle class again); Basting techniques
- Round Robin
- Ornament Swap (see Instagram photos!)
- Show and Share (ditto)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.