Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes
July 31, 2019
Munch and Mingle (6:00)
Meeting Begins (6:30)
- Upcoming classes for 2019
- Erin Harris - Build your own medallion class, Sept 14th - 6 hour class - cost member $75, non-members $85. Sign ups are open and we have about 8 people signed up so far.
- Enrollment will open to non-members mid-August.
- April 2020 - Rossie Hutchinson - improv
- Latifah Saafir has also been contacted for 2020. She has a lot of great class offerings.
- DAMqg will partner with us for the weekend event
- Brenda will attempt to contact Latifah - sent a note mid-july proposing first weekend in October
- Heather Givens replied to Brenda, seeing what she has to offer
- No reply from Heather re: teaching in Ann Arbor - will look to others for teaching
- Winter 2020 retreat - January 24-26 at Creative Passions in Chessening
- Sign up will begin August/September as deposit is due in fall
- AUG - Sunday, Aug 18
- SEP - Saturday, Sep 14 - Erin Harris class
- OCT - Sunday, Oct 13 - SEW TOGETHER
- Might want to get the pattern and start thinking about supplies soon for the October Sew Together bag class.
- NOV - Saturday, Nov 9
- DEC - Sunday, Dec 8
**Sew-in room access is typically 9-6. Please remember to bring extension cords as outlets are limited in the rooms.
- MQG Quilt Con charity - no current design
- Given the timelines, the group decided to make a quilt for Grillin’ without submitting the piece for the national event. This will give more time for the construction and finish to donate in late April/early May.
- August charity block will again be "Scrappy Summer" in bright colors
- Thanks to all who donated blocks this month! These will be combined with the June blocks for a quilt.
- Quilt labels have been purchased and are probably in the blue bin at Pink Castle.
- Discussion about the bin as no one is regularly going to pick up the bin before the meetings. May need to have a volunteer schedule or determine another way to get materials prior to the meetings.
- Several new quilts were donated for both Mott Children’s and the VA. (Kim took the quilts for the VA this month).
- The Gerald Ford Library has contacted Tara again about exhibiting our quilts November-December 2019.
- If you are interested in submitting a quilts, please let Tara Parks know by September 01. Maximum size is 94x94 inches.12 quilts will be drawn randomly to be hung at the library.
Several members attended QU with the GAAQG. The classes were well organized and the space at the Liberal Arts building at WCC provided good, individual work stations. Some shared works they constructed in class (thanks Heidi, Ida, and Jackie!).
- Quiltcon registration is open! Even if you don’t plan to go, Maggie recommends getting the free floor pass. If you decide later, you will be glad you did it.
- Austin Feb 20-23, featuring Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- New Modern Monthly is out! Maggie really likes the block study and there is an article about making a weighted blanket to check out.
- Jackie said Meijers on Ann Arbor-Saline road sells the plastic pellets. She also recommends the weight be about 5% of body weight (10% seems too much).
- You can access all of the resources under resources on the member dashboard as well.
Scrappy Icebreaker - Members answered questions about favorite tools, start in quilting, other expert skills, etc.
- The Cameo Quilt Guild in Clawson sent information about their group to share.
Library Spotlight - The library list is available on the blog. Send note to Kim or via FB page with requested books and Kim will bring to meeting.
Skill share - Maggie will repost list of possible shares. Please add any other options to share at a meeting.
- great additions to all the quilts this month. Remember you can join in at any time! g
Swapenge - 6 members participated in the mug rug swap
August - 2 color challenge. Make a quilt with only 2 colors, participants will be entered into a raffle.
Show and Share